AUBURN, Ala.—Registration for the 2018 Deep South Stocker Conference, co-hosted by Alabama Extension, is now open. The conference is set for July 13 from 8 a.m. until 4 p.m. The event will be held at the Hale County College and Career Academy in Greensboro, Alabama. Mississippi State University Extension and the University of Georgia Extension will also be co-hosting the event.
Dr. Kim Mullenix, an Alabama Extension beef cattle specialist, said that this conference is a great opportunity for stocker cattle producers to hear the latest information and also ask questions on a variety of management topics.
“Participants will have the opportunity to hear from experts on topics related to calf health management, nutrition, economics and also marketing,” Mullenix said. “There will also be an interactive panel, made up of local producers, who will address hot topics facing the industry.”
Throughout the day, participates will learn about a variety of subjects within the cattle industry. There are several speakers scheduled to attend the conference to present information on these topics and also answer questions.
- Weather and Climate Outlook – Pam Knox, Agricultural Climatologist, University of Georgia
- Cost Per Head or Value Per Head – What is the Difference? – Dr. Dan Scruggs, Managing Veterinarian, Zoetis
- Forage Systems Research Update for Stocker Producers – Dr. Kim Mullenix, Animal Science Specialist, Auburn University
- Supplementation, Conversion Efficiencies and Feed Technologies – Blaine Corners, Zoetis Nutritionist
- Health in the Feed Yard. Taking a Look Under the Hood – Issac Hardee, Veterinarian, Adams Land and Cattle – Broken Bow, Nebraska
- Cattle Market Outlook – Dr. Andrew Griffith, assistant professor, University of Tennessee
The cost to register for the conference is $20 per person. This fee includes a meal as well as access to the conference and trade show. Participants can register online at www.deepsouthstocker.org or through the mail. To register by mail, attendees must print a registration form and send the completed form and also a check to:
The Deep South Stocker Conference
c/o Kim Mullenix
303A Upchurch Hall
Auburn University, AL 36849
Print the needed registration form from the website listed above. Make checks payable to Auburn University Department of Animal Sciences.
For more information, visit Alabama Extension online or also the conference website at www.deepsouthstocker.org. There, you will find a full schedule as well as registration information, sponsors and much more. Also, contact Dr. Kim Mullenix at 334-844-1546 or Brenda Glover at 334-624-8710 with further questions.